#title: Hacking on SourceHut
This document provides information for those interested in hacking on or
contributing to SourceHut.
Here are some tips to expedite the installation procedure:
- A PostgreSQL database and Redis server are always required.
- Some services require (or may optionally make use of) an S3-compatible
storage backend. Minio is recommended for this purpose.
- Generally, you can skip the webhooks daemons unless you need them.
- Always prefer package installations for obtaining dependencies.
- You can usually get away without configuring the outgoing mail settings,
but you may still have to generate a PGP key to get things started up.
- You can skip setting up a reverse proxy and use our development servers via
python3 run.py instead.
- Some services depend on other services. Some such integrations are optional,
but all services depend on meta.sr.ht.
In addition to the runtime dependencies of our packages, building
packages from source requires additional build-time dependencies:
sassc for CSS pre-processing
npm for minifying CSS
go for compiling the Go APIs
Do this once, when starting with meta.sr.ht:
- In addition to meta.sr.ht, check out
- Copy meta.sr.ht's
config.ini and configure
everything following the instructions in the comments.
Then, for each
For each service except meta.sr.ht:
- Copy the service's section(s) from its
config.example.ini into meta.sr.ht's
config.ini, modifying it according to the comments.
ln -s /path/to/meta.sr.ht/config.ini config.ini
To run a service:
We use git send-email and discuss patches (and
other development topics) on the
sr.ht-dev list. Please send your
patches and development questions there.