Update FLOSS-related terminology
New terminology (with a footnote for more background) reduces confusion
and clarifies the difference between different viewpoints in this space.
Thanks to RMS for providing feedback.
Incorporate feedback from TWIM discussion
This article received some good feedback from #twim:matrix.org in
Matrix. Some clarifications I made:
- @cos:hacklab.fi mentioned that Element/Synapse are open-source; I
opened the article by mentioning that FOSS alone isn't enough and
added a note on their complexity to the matrix/element case-study
- @sorunome:sorunome.de mentioned that there is no "reference
implementation" of Matrix; I rephrased a sentence to state that
Element "practically serves as the reference client implementation".
- Clarify that Element builds "most of" the spec instead of being in
charge of it; the Spec Core Team (SCT) is a different entity but is
made mostly of Element employees.
- Changed leaving implementations out of decisions to leaving
implementation feasibility out of decisions.
Small elaboration on Moxie's post + style fixes
- Give a sentence its own paragraph since it had a different topic from
the rest of the paragraph
- s/really much/much/
- Add a little to describe Moxie's viewpoint, following some feedback I
got on IRC and Lobsters.
Link to primary instead of secondary source
Thanks shivaram for the feedback
Add missing acknowledgement
New post: "Keeping platforms open"