All notable changes to aerc will be documented in this file.
The format is based on Keep a Changelog.
- Read-only mbox backend support.
- Import/Export mbox files with
address-book-cmd can now also be specified in
- Aerc will no longer exit while a send is in progress.
- When scrolling through large folders, client side threading is now debounced
to avoid lagging. This can be configured with
- The provided awk filters are now POSIX compliant and should work on MacOS and
outgoing-cred-cmd execution is now deferred until a message needs to be sent.
- Transient crashes when closing tabs.
- Binding a command to
- Reselection after delete and scroll when client side threading is enabled.
- Background mail count polling when the default folder is empty on startup.
- Wide character handling in the message list.
- Deal with calendar invites with
- IMAP cache support.
- Maildir++ support.
- Background mail count polling for all folders.
- Authentication-Results display (DKIM, SPF & DMARC).
- Folder-specific key bindings.
- Customizable PGP icons.
- Open URLs from messages with
- Forward all individual attachments with
- Messages are now deselected after performing a command. Use
reselect the previously selected messages and chain other commands.
<Enter> in the default postpone folder now runs
- PGP signed/encrypted indicators have been reworked.
threading-enabled option now affects if message threading should be
enabled at startup. This option no longer conflicts with
:open for signed and/or encrypted PGP messages.
- Messages that have failed
gpg encryption/signing are no longer sent.
- Recalling attachments from drafts.
- Format specifier for compact folder names in dirlist.
- Customizable, per-folder status line.
- Allow binding commands to
- Optional filter to parse ICS files (uses
python3 vobject library).
- Save all attachments with
- Attach your PGP public key to a message with
- Stack overflow with faulty
References headers when
#0.9.0 - 2022-03-21
:pipe on multiple selected messages.
- Client side on-the-fly message threading with
- Per-account, better status line.
- Consecutive, incremental
- Foldable tree for directory list.
- Fuzzy tab completion for commands and folders.
- Key pass though mode for the message viewer to allow searching with
- Use terminfo for setting terminal title.
#0.8.2 - 2022-02-19
colorize filter with diff, multi-level quotes and URL coloring.
- XDG desktop entry to use as default
- IMAP automatic reconnect.
- Recover drafts after crash with
- Show possible actions with user configured bindings when reviewing a message.
- Allow setting any header in email templates.
:compose option to never include your own address when replying.
- Templates and style sets are now searched from multiple directories. Not from
a single hard-coded folder set at build time. In addition of the configured
PREFIX/share/aerc folders at build time, aerc now also looks into
- A warning is displayed when trying to configure account specific bindings
for a non-existent account.
Ctrl-h binding not working.
- Open files leaks for maildir and notmuch.
#0.8.1 - 2022-02-20 [YANKED]
#0.8.0 - 2022-02-19 [YANKED]
#0.7.1 - 2022-01-15
- IMAP low level TCP settings.
- Experimental IMAP server-side and notmuch threading.
:recall now works from any folder.
- PGP/MIME signing and encryption.
- Account specific bindings.
- Address book completion for multiple addresses.
- Maildir external mailbox changes monitoring.
#0.7.0 - 2022-01-14 [YANKED]
#0.6.0 - 2021-11-09
The project was forked to https://git.sr.ht/~rjarry/aerc.
- Allow more modifiers for key bindings.
- Dynamic dates in message list.
- Match any header in filters specifiers.
- Don't read entire messages into memory.
#0.5.0 - 2020-11-10
- Remove folder with
- Configurable style sets.
- UI context aware options and styling.
- oauthbearer support for SMTP.
- IMAP sort support.
#0.4.0 - 2020-05-20
- Address book completion.
- Initial PGP support using an internal key store.
- Messages can now be selected with
- Drafts handing with
- Tab management with
- Add arbitrary headers in the compose window with
- Interactive prompt with
- Notmuch labels improvements.
- Support setting some headers in message templates.
aerc.conf ini parser only uses
= as delimiter.
: is now ignored.
#0.3.0 - 2019-11-21
- A new notmuch backend is available. See
aerc-notmuch(5) for details.
- Message templates now let you change the default reply and forwarded message
templates, as well as add new templates of your own. See
- Mouse input is now optionally available and has been rigged up throughout the
aerc.conf to enable.
:bcc commands are available in the message composer.
- Users may now configure arbitrary message headers for editing in the message
#0.2.0 - 2019-07-29
- Maildir & sendmail transport support
- Search and filtering are supported (via
\ by default)
aerc mailto:... now opens the composer in running aerc instance
- Initial tab completion support has been added
- Improved headers and addressing in the composer and message view
- Message attachments may now be added in the composer
- Commands can now be run in the background with
- A new triggers system allows running aerc commands when new emails arrive,
which may (for example) be used to send desktop notifications or move new
emails to a folder
- The filters have been rewritten in awk, dropping the Python dependencies.
dante are both still required for HTML email, but the HTML filter
has been commented out in the default config file.
- The default keybindings and configuration options have changed considerably,
and users are encouraged to pull the latest versions out of
re-apply their modifications to them, or to at least review the diff with
their current configurations. aerc may not behave properly without taking
this into account.
#0.1.0 - 2019-06-03