A Simple Mail Client.
This project is a fork of mail(1) from OpenBSD 7.0.
My changes to the source code are licensed under the ISC License, but much of
the code retains its original BSD-3-clause license from UCB.
Most email clients suck. I don't know why email in particular has been plagued
with such terrible MUA implementations, but the current landscape is full of
either bloated programs with far too much going on (Thunderbird, Kmail), or
programs that are unnecessarily complicated and require a lot of configuration
I want an email client with the following features:
- Limited configuration required
- Sane configuration out of the box
- CLI interface to make browsing and reading emails painless and straightforward
- Features one needs to deal with the current landscape of email (many messages,
html email, attachments)
Here are the modifications I want to make to mail(1):
- Maildir support (intended to be used with a program like mbsync)
- HTML email support by way of passing to an external program for rendering
(e.g. lynx, w3m)
- Reverse display of headers so the default is to display a limited set of
important headers (From:, To:, Subject:, Date:, Content-Type:)
- View email using a pager by default
- Parse out attachments and allow easy saving
- Attach files to an email when composing