@@ 1,66 1,115 @@
description: The privacy of your data — and it is your data, not ours! — is a big deal to us. Here's the rundown of what we collect and why, when we access your information, and your rights.
author: The Taliaferro Times
## Who we are
The Taliaferro Times is the official newspaper and writing club of Booker T. Washington High School in Tulsa, Oklahoma. Our website address is: https://thetaliaferrotimes.org or any of its subdomains.
The privacy of your data — and it is your data, not ours! — is a big deal to us. In this policy, we lay out: what data we collect and why; how your data is handled; and your rights to your data. We promise we never sell your data: never have, never will.
## What personal data we collect and why we collect it
We collect no data except basic log information so it is possible to tell how many visitors our site has had. Our hosting provide, TMDHosting, might collect further logs without our notice like your IP address.
To see the terms of submitting content for publication to us, see our [About page](/about/).
### Automatic collection
This policy applies to all products build and maintained by The Taliaferro Times including https://thetaliaferrotimes.org, https://wordpress.thetaliaferrotimes.org, https://taliaferro.tk, and other services.
Any time you visit or interact with the site data such as your IP Address will be automatically collected and stored indefinitely. If you wish to avoid this, we recommend you use a Virtual Private Server (VPN) at your own risk.
## What we collect and why
Our guiding principle is to collect only what we need. Here’s what that means in practice:
### Embedded content from other websites
### Website interactions
When you browse our pages or applications, your browser automatically shares certain information such as which operating system and browser version you are using. We track that information, along with the pages you are visiting, the size of your screen, and which website referred you for statistical purposes. We sometimes track specific link clicks to help inform some design decisions (e.g. using bit.ly links).
To collect our analytics we use a third-party, privacy-respecting analytics service called Goatcounter. You can visit their website at goatcounter.com. Specifically, we use Goatcounter to collect:
- URL of the visited page.
- Referer header.
- User-Agent header.
- Screen size.
- Country name based on IP address.
- A hash of the IP address, User-Agent, and random number.
No personal information (such as IP address) is collected; a hash of the IP address, User-Agent, and a daily changing random number (“salt”) is stored for 24 hours at the most to identify unique visitors.
There is no information stored by Goatcounter in the browser with e.g. cookies.
### Embedded Content
Articles on this site may include embedded content (e.g. videos, images, articles, etc.). Embedded content from other websites behaves in the exact same way as if the visitor has visited the other website.
### Cookies and Do Not Track
At this time, our sites and applications do not respond to Do Not Track beacons sent by browser plugins.
## Who we share your data with
### Voluntary correspondence
Any data collected is used within the Taliaferro Times for statistical analysis, spam detection, newsletter management, and other internal affairs. We may share your data with appropriate authorities if requested such as law enforcement, school officials, or other government entities.
When you write The Taliaferro Times with a question or to ask for help, we keep that correspondence, including the email address or social media username, so that we have a history of past correspondences to reference if you reach out in the future.
Every attempt will be made by the managers of this site to ensure that your data is never shared with such authorities if it contains sensitive personal data.
We also store any information you volunteer like surveys. Sometimes when we do interviews, we may ask for your permission to record the conversation for future reference or use. We only do so if you give your express consent.
## How long we retain your data
### Information we do not collect
If you leave a comment, the comment and its metadata are retained indefinitely. This is so we can recognize and approve any follow-up comments automatically instead of holding them in a moderation queue.
We don’t collect any characteristics of protected classifications including age, race, gender, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression. You may provide these data voluntarily, such as if you include a pronoun preference in your email signature when writing into our team.
For users that register on our website (if any), we also store the personal information they provide in their user profile. All users can see, edit, or delete their personal information at any time (except they cannot change their username). Website administrators can also see and edit that information.
We also do not collect any biometric data.
## What rights you have over your data
## When we access or share your information
If you have an account on this site, or have left comments, you can request to receive an exported file of the personal data we hold about you, including any data you have provided to us. You can also request that we erase any personal data we hold about you. This does not include any data we are obliged to keep for administrative, legal, or security purposes.
Our default practice is to not access your information. The only times we’ll ever access or share your info are:
## Where we send your data
* **To provide products or services you've requested**. We do use some third-party services to run our applications and only to the extent necessary process some or all of your personal information via these third parties. You can see the list of third-party services we use below.
* **When required under applicable law.** If the appropriate law enforcement authorities have the necessary warrant, criminal subpoena, or court order requiring we share data, we have to comply. Otherwise, we flat-out reject requests from local and federal law enforcement when they seek data. And unless we’re legally prevented from it, we’ll always inform you when such requests are made. ***We have never received a National Security Letter or Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act (FISA) order.***
Visitor comments may be checked through an automated spam detection service.
## Your contact information
## Your Rights With Respect to Your Information
## Additional information
At The Taliaferro Times, we apply the same data rights to all customers, regardless of their location. Currently some of the most privacy-forward regulations in place are the European Union’s General Data Protection Regulation (“GDPR”) and California Consumer Privacy Act (“CCPA”) in the US. The Taliaferro Times recognizes all of the rights granted in these regulations, except as limited by applicable law. These rights include:
Over time, the administrators and managers of this site will change without notice.
* **Right of Access.** This includes your right to access the personal information we gather about you, and your right to obtain information about the sharing, storage, security and processing of that information.
* **Right to Correction.** You have the right to request correction of your personal information.
* **Right to Erasure / “To be Forgotten”.** This is your right to request, subject to certain limitations under applicable law, that your personal information be erased from our possession and, by extension, all of our service providers.
* **Right to Complain.** You have the right to make a complaint regarding our handling of your personal information with the appropriate supervisory authority. To identify your specific authority or find out more about this right, EU individuals should go to [https://edpb.europa.eu/about-edpb/board/members_en](https://edpb.europa.eu/about-edpb/board/members_en).
* **Right to Restrict Processing.** This is your right to request restriction of how and why your personal information is used or processed, including opting out of sale of personal information. (Again: we never have and never will sell your personal data).
* **Right to Object.** You have the right, in certain situations, to object to how or why your personal information is processed.
* **Right to Portability.** You have the right to receive the personal information we have about you and the right to transmit it to another party.
* **Right to not be subject to Automated Decision-Making.** You have the right to object and prevent any decision that could have a legal, or similarly significant, effect on you from being made solely based on automated processes. This right is limited, however, if the decision is necessary for performance of any contract between you and us, is allowed by applicable law, or is based on your explicit consent.
* **Right to Non-Discrimination.** This right stems from the CCPA. We do and will not charge you a different amount to use our products, offer you different discounts, or give you a lower level of customer service because you have exercised your data privacy rights. However, the exercise of certain rights (such as the right “to be forgotten”) may, by virtue of your exercising those rights, prevent you from using our Services.
If you have questions about exercising these rights or need assistance, please contact us at [firstname.lastname@example.org](mailto:email@example.com). To identify your specific authority to file a complaint or find out more about GDPR, EU individuals should go to [https://edpb.europa.eu/about-edpb/board/members_en](https://edpb.europa.eu/about-edpb/board/members_en).
WARNING: If you wish to give news tips to a member of the Taliaferro Times, DO NOT use the website. No confidentiality is possible with the data you might submit. Instead, contact an Editor directly.
### How we protect your data
We attempt to not directly give it away. Other protection techniques will be variably enforced. By using the site you acknowledge that any and all data might be exposed to third-parties.
- [TMDHosting](https://www.tmdhosting.com/terms-privacy-policy.html): Cloud website hosting (thetaliaferrotimes.org and sub-domains)
- [Cloudflare](https://www.cloudflare.com/privacypolicy/): Content Delivery Network (CDN)
- [Goatcounter](https://www.goatcounter.com/privacy): Analytics
- [Mailchimp](https://mailchimp.com/legal/privacy/): Email newsletter service.
- [Netlify](https://www.netlify.com/privacy/): Cloud website hosting (taliaferro.tk)
### What data breach procedures we have in place
## How we secure your data
All data is encrypted via [SSL/TLS](https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transport_Layer_Security) when transmitted from our servers to your browser.
## Location of Site and Data
Our products and other web properties are operated in the United States. If you are located in the European Union or elsewhere outside of the United States, please be aware that any information you provide to us will be transferred to the United States. By using our Site, participating in any of our services and/or providing us with your information, you consent to this transfer.
## Changes & questions
We may update this policy as needed to comply with relevant regulations and reflect any new practices. You can see a history of the changes to our policies [on Sourcehut](https://git.sr.ht/~exprez135/taliaferro/log). Whenever we make a significant change to our policies, we will also announce them via an alert banner on our homepage.
All website data is managed by TMDHosting. Please see https://tmdhosting.com for more information about their security measures.
Adapted from the [Basecamp open-source policies](https://github.com/basecamp/policies) / [CC BY 4.0](https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/)