Crowbar: the good parts of C, with a little bit extra.
**This is entirely a work-in-progress, and should not be relied upon to be stable (or even accurate) in any way.**
Crowbar is a language that is derived from (and, wherever possible, interoperable with) C, and aims to remove as many `footguns`_ and as much needless complexity from C as possible while still being familiar to C developers.
.. _footguns: https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/footgun
Ideally, a typical C codebase should be straightforward to rewrite in Crowbar, and any atypical C constructions not supported by Crowbar can be left as C.
This site hosts the Crowbar specification at https://crowbar-lang.org and at `<gemini://crowbar-lang.org>`_.
Additional resources you may be interested in:
* `sr.ht project hub`_
* `specification PDF`_
* `specification EPUB`_
* `reference compiler`_
.. _sr.ht project hub: https://sr.ht/~boringcactus/crowbar-lang/
.. _specification PDF: /crowbar-spec.pdf
.. _specification EPUB: /crowbar-spec.epub
.. _reference compiler: https://git.sr.ht/~boringcactus/crowbar-reference-compiler
* `Rust is not a good C replacement <https://drewdevault.com/2019/03/25/Rust-is-not-a-good-C-replacement.html>`_
* `Crowbar: Defining a good C replacement <https://www.boringcactus.com/2020/09/28/crowbar-1-defining-a-c-replacement.html>`_
* `Crowbar: Simplifying C's type names <https://www.boringcactus.com/2020/10/13/crowbar-2-simplifying-c-type-names.html>`_
* `Crowbar: Turns out, language development is hard <https://www.boringcactus.com/2020/10/19/crowbar-3-this-is-tough.html>`_
* `announcement mailing list <https://lists.sr.ht/~boringcactus/crowbar-lang-announce>`_
* `permanent discussion mailing list <https://lists.sr.ht/~boringcactus/crowbar-lang-devel>`_
* ephemeral discussions via IRC: #crowbar-lang on freenode (`join via irc <ircs://chat.freenode.net/#crowbar-lang>`_, `join via web <https://webchat.freenode.net/#crowbar-lang>`_)
.. only:: html
Indices and tables