Makes roughly 6 medium-sized (5") pancakes.
- 6 oz plain flour
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1.5 tsp baking powder
- For bacon & cinnamon version:
- 12 rashers crispy fried streaky bacon
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- For blueberry version:
- Measure out the flour and add the other dry ingradients in a bowl.
- Make a well in the centre and add the egg.
- Stir the egg in the well, gradually incorporating the flour and adding milk to maintain a thick creamy consistency.
- Beat the batter to add air and remove lumps.
- Cut up the bacon into small (1") pieces.
- Preheat a thick-bottomed pan and add oil to thinly cover the pan.
- Ladle one or several pools of batter into the pan; they should spread to roughly 5" in diameter.
- Quickly press either 4 or 5 blueberries, or two rashers' worth of bacon into the top side of each panckake.
- Fry over a medium heat until the top side has formed bubbles and has lost its liquid sheen (usually around 3 mins).
- Flip and leave for another minute or two; both sides should be golden brown.
- Serve with butter and powdered sugar (Dutch style), or maple/golden syrup (American style).