#Bread and Butter Pudding
- 8 thin slices bread
- 50g sultanas
- 2 tsp cinnamon powder
- 350ml whole milk
- 50ml double cream
- 2 eggs
- 70g granulated sugar
- Nutmeg, grated, to taste
- Grease a 1 litre pie dish with butter.
- Butter the bread on one side, then cut the crusts off and slice into
- Arrange a layer of bread, buttered-side up, in the bottom of the dish, then
sprinkle with sultanas and cinnamon. Repeat the process until all the bread
is used up.
- Gently warm the milk and cream in a pan over a low heat to scalding point.
Don't let it boil.
- Crack the eggs into a bowl, add the sugar, and whisk until pale.
- Add the warm milk and cream mixture and stir well.
- Pour the custard over the prepared bread layers, and sprinkle with nutmeg
and sugar. Leave to stand for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 180C/355F/Gas 4.
- Place the dish into the oven and bake for 30-40 minutes, or until the
custard has set and the top is golden-brown.